Console

Wednesday 22 January 2020

Sennheiser GSP 370 Wireless Headset Review

The latest game news from IGN - one of my fave channels ever - check it out The Sennheiser GSP 370 is a more affordable gaming headset than some of the company’s other wired and wireless options. At $199, it comes at a slightly lower price bracket than Sennheiser's $249 GSP 600  and it's dramatically cheaper than the company's other wireless gaming headsets, the $349 GSP 670 while sharing similar design language with its more expensive siblings. Even so, the price puts it well above some of the other best gaming headsets, including wireless champs like the SteelSeries Arctis 7 and Logitech G935, as well as the budget PDP LVL50. Here’s what it has to offer. [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=sennheiser-gsp-370-wireless-headset-review&captions=true"]

Sennheiser GSP 370 – Design and Features

The Sennheiser GSP 370 headset isn’t a subtle affair. The design could easily be described as angular, and though the earcups aren’t really on the massive side, they stand out because of the curious connection point to the headband. There’s no typical yolk connecting the headband and earcups, instead they pivot freely on a ball-like joint, albeit only a few degrees in any direction. A comfortable fit is easy to find though. The headband contributes to that as well, with plenty of flexibility to stretch and twist, and room for some pretty big heads with the sliders. Sennheiser GSP 370, Gaming Headset The comfort of the headset is driven home in the faux-leather-wrapped earcups. The opening isn’t especially wide, but it’s extra tall, and the foam padding and suede-like lining of the cushion leave my ears feeling like they’re curled up in their own little sofas. I thought the narrowness might start to bother me, but the space is big enough to avoid putting pressure on any part of my not-so-small ears. At 285 grams, the headset stays light as well. There’s plenty of mesh cushion at the top of the headset, letting even my shaved head breathe a bit without creating any tenderness from the pressure. Keeping the headset light does seem to mean Sennheiser needed to stick with plastic for the GSP 370. The only metal in sight is the microphone grille, the micro USB port, and some screws here and there. It’s sturdy plastic though, and I didn’t notice any part creaking when I twisted and bent the headset in every direction. Sennheiser GSP 370, Gaming Headset Color-wise, the GSP 370 sticks to a simple black and gray affair, but Sennheiser seems to signal that this is a gaming headset through the aesthetics. The housings for the sliding portion of the headband are larger than they need to be, there’s a considerably large volume dial on the right earcup, and the microphone is a massive unit held out on a beefy arm. It’s not detachable either. The microphone arm has plenty of adjustability on the vertical axis, and mutes when rotated up. A rubber portion bends to bring the mic closer to the mouth, but it takes some coaxing to get it in position. The mic itself is a unidirectional, noise-cancelling type with a 100-6,300Hz frequency response range. This isn’t much of a headset to casually wear outside of gaming situations, especially given it only works with a somewhat chunky USB dongle. It’s disappointing not to see a Bluetooth or wired secondary connections available here, since more versatility would be easily appreciated at the price. At the same price, the HyperX Cloud Mix offers excellent wired audio, Bluetooth backed by the aptX codec, decent comfort, and a great removable mic. Meanwhile both the SteelSeries Arctis 7 and Arctis 1 Wireless offer proper wireless gaming audio and 3.5mm wired functionality at lower prices. The wireless is a strong point, though. It’s a lag-free, lossless connection, that’s made all the more compelling by the GSP 370’s promise of 100-hour battery life. I haven’t precisely put that number to the test, but I’ve spent approximately 2-3 hours a day gaming with the GSP 370 in the 3 weeks since I began reviewing it, and have only charged it once. An indicator light on the front of the left earcup can show battery levels. Sennheiser GSP 370, Gaming Headset

Sennheiser GSP 370 – Software

The Sennheiser GSP 370 runs on the Sennheiser Gaming Suite software. It’s a simple app, only available for Windows 10, and thereby has limited functionality. It has a number of mic settings, including a voice enhancer, a customizable noise gate, and gain controls, and offers some basic tweaks like an adjustable equalizer and a toggle for 7.1-channel surround sound. Some settings are obnoxiously visible but not adjustable, such as the mic’s noise-cancellation level and side tone control.

Sennheiser GSP 370 – Gaming

There’s no doubt about the Sennheiser GSP 370’s gaming capabilities. Its comfort prevents it from becoming a distraction during long gaming sessions, and the sound quality is consistent. I put considerable time into Rainbow Six Siege, The Outer Worlds, Apex Legends, and the alpha of GTFO while wearing the Sennheiser GSP 370. Across the board, the audio performance of the headset was excellent. Voice performances were clear in The Outer Worlds, and I never had an enemy catch me off guard by coming up behind me. The speaker drivers deliver a full sound, as well, making the wide worlds in the game feel complete. Sennheiser GSP 370, Gaming Headset The headset excelled even more in games where sound is critical. In GTFO, I could hear large enemies pacing behind a door, giving me some sense of which direction to look if I went through – or if I should just back away from that door altogether. While playing the Apex Legends’ Halloween event, all the detail coming through served to make the experience that much more bone tingling. Hearing enemies scrabble around a building I was hunkering down in definitely kept things tense, especially as I tried to avoid all enemy contact to sneakily make my way to the escape shuttle. Rainbow Six Siege is where the headset truly proved itself. With the 7.1 mode turned on and the volume at a modestly high level, my sound was never the thing holding me back. I went into a good number of rounds with a squad, and thanks to the sound, generally had a good sense of where enemies were moving about or when they were planting a trap. In one situation, I posted up in the middle of a hallway, setting up concussion mines just around the corner at either end and in a room behind me. Sennheiser GSP 370, Gaming Headset Sure enough, I could clearly hear an opposing player approach down an adjoining hall, trigger my mine, and I was able to quickly pounce. I knew I was safe from my other flanks, too, since I could hear clearly that no enemies were approaching while I pounced. . In another round, I attacked from the floor above the defender’s objective, blew open some patches in the floor, and caught a couple enemies out, one of which I heard before I ever saw. Where situational awareness counts, the Sennheiser GSP 370 is up to the task. I feel it’s every bit as capable as the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless (though lacking mic sidetone) while feeling as comfortable as the HyperX Cloud Revolver S headset. The headset is enjoyable for music as well. The surround sound takes some of the clarity out of certain parts of the music, like the drums, but does create an engaging sense of being slightly more immersed in the music. In particular, the sound seems to wrap more around the rear, and the vocals feel extra close to my ears. Nothing like Kevin Barnes or Jason Lytle singing into my ears. It almost creates a feeling of sound echoing off nearby surfaces (even with the Reverberation dial turned down) for a strong presence, even if it muddies the signal a little. Sennheiser GSP 370, Gaming Headset The microphone is also a star performer, but does require somewhat ideal circumstances. My voice comes through rich and clear in voice recordings, better even than SteelSeries ClearCast mics I’ve used, and my teammates on Discord have agreed on the point of clarity. But, for being unidirectional and noise-cancelling, it doesn’t seem to do a great job cutting out mechanical gaming keyboard chatter. The noise gate wasn’t super helpful. When I could get it high enough to cancel out the sounds of the mechanical keyboard, it would also trim the first sound out of my mouth. Testing the mic out in a noisy cafe, the clatter of my keyboard sounded clearer than my own voice, and there was some crackle when I spoke. The mic has little in the way of a pop filter, but I found it still did an excellent job capturing my voice clearly and loudly even when positioned nearer to my chin. That positioning also effectively eliminated any popping. There’s also been the occasional connectivity hiccup. With the dongle plugged into an always-on USB port, the headset would sometimes struggle to connect at boot. But, Windows may be at fault there.

Purchasing Guide

The Sennheiser GSP 370 retails for $199, but as I mentioned throughout this review there are plenty of great, more affordable wireless gaming headsets available on the market. [poilib element="commerceCta" json="%7B%22image%22%3A%7B%22url%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fassets1.ignimgs.com%2F2020%2F01%2F22%2FSennheiserGSP-3701579721006195.jpg%22%2C%22styleUrl%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fassets1.ignimgs.com%2F2020%2F01%2F22%2FSennheiserGSP-3701579721006195_%7Bsize%7D.jpg%22%2C%22id%22%3A%225e28a132e4b0e6d43845e1cc%22%7D%2C%22url%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fr.zdbb.net%2Fu%2Fblzo%22%2C%22title%22%3A%22Sennheiser%20GSP%20370%22%2C%22store%22%3A%22Amazon%22%2C%22additionalInfo%22%3A%22%22%2C%22ourPick%22%3Afalse%7D"]

from IGN Reviews https://ift.tt/2uqoAms
This could be a real lead forward for personal gaming... Revolutionise gaming

No comments:

Post a Comment